[vtk-developers] How to update someone else's topic (or create a new topic off of theirs)

Shawn Waldon shawn.waldon at kitware.com
Tue Mar 17 14:56:54 EDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 2:48 PM, Ken Martin <ken.martin at kitware.com> wrote:

> I apologize if these are stupid questions but I'm exploring this a tad
> further as it hits on the basic way we will collaborate on a topic and I
> want to make sure I do it the right way.
>
> So basically
>
> 1) Checkout their topic from their fork of VTK (the topic does not exist
> yet
> on other forks right?)

Correct, the topic branch only exists on their fork.

> 2) Do some work
>
> Then...
>
> I can push it to their fork if they add me as a developer on their fork.

Yes.

> Can I push it to my fork even though my fork lacks their topic?  Should I?
>
> Yes, it will create a branch on your fork with that name.  The merge
request will not be updated though.

> They cannot fetch it from me unless I push it someplace public that they
> can
> see right? Where would that be? Github?
>
> In the Settings section of your fork you can make your fork public.  Forks
of public projects on Gitlab are public by default so unless you changed it
your fork of VTK should be publicly visible.  Then if they fetch that
branch from your fork they will get your changes.

HTH,
Shawn