[vtk-developers] How to update someone else's topic (or create a new topic off of theirs)

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Mar 17 14:24:27 EDT 2015

On 03/17/2015 02:16 PM, Ken Martin wrote:
> So I was doing a review of someone's merge request and I realized it needs
> some extra changes. Is there a way for me to download their topic (cherry
> pick?), make some more changes and then resubmit it? I saw lots of options
> to download a patch or diff for a topic but I do not want to lose their
> node/hash/whatever it is called. Is there a right way to do this. I did
> check the wiki but did not see a "revise someone else's topic".

This is an area where GitLab's merge request workflow differs from Gerrit's.
In GitLab the original submitter of the merge request is responsible for
pushing all updates to the branch.  There are a few options here:

1. You could checkout the branch locally, make the changes, and then ask
   the original submitter to fetch your version of the topic and
   'git gitlab-push' it again to update the MR.

2. You could do the same but instead open your own MR and close the
   original.

3. You could work with the submitter directly in their repository.  They
   can use the Setting tab in their GitLab fork to make you a developer
   that can push directly to their repository.  In that case though
   the 'git gitlab-push' alias won't help you because it won't be
   configured to push to the right place.  You'd have to push by hand.

-Brad