[vtk-developers] RFC: Compiler support, removing hacks for old compilers

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Mar 16 14:09:26 EDT 2015

Hi all,

VTK currently contains hacks for various old compilers.  I'd like to prune some of this and increase the minimum compiler requirements.

I'd be interested to know from the community what are the oldest compilers you care about?  Anyone out there using a compiler older than 5 years or so?

Concretely, I thought I'd start by removing support for:
 - gcc 3.x
 - MSVC++ 8.0 (aka Visual Studio 2005)

The minimums would therefore become:
 - gcc 4.0 - Released: 2005-04-20
 - MSVC++ 9.0 (aka Visual Studio 2008) - Released: 2007-11-19

The motivation being:
 - reduce cruft in the codebase
 - allow use of newer language features (C++11 eventually)

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com