[vtk-developers] VTK module system uplift to CMake 3.0 features

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Tue Mar 3 12:51:19 EST 2015

> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 7:49 PM, Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel at kitware.com> wrote:
> > (though whether to default to ON or OFF is a valid question).

For the default, how about we default to OFF to start while turning it
ON for the dashboards. When work completes, we can wait for X weeks then
default it to ON.

On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 10:40:44 -0500, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
> Just to be clear I wasn't thinking about packaging VTK, I was thinking
> about the experience for a developer/user compiling from master or a
> release. We have generally managed to keep our initial compile
> instructions to (more or less) clone/download VTK sources, run system
> CMake, compilers, OpenGL etc. We would likely bump that to
> download/compile CMake/add a PPA, then do the other stuff.

I think adding a PPA is fine here. We might need to consider those who
don't have root and can't use PPAs as well and provide from-source
instructions.

> If we can make it even easier for end users not wanting to compile the
> latest and greatest by providing PPAs and similar for other distros
> that would be a big step forward for those cases (although we would
> need to see how much extra effort was involved too). There are several
> projects doing this already in order to get the latest releases
> without any need for downloading, unpacking, compiling, etc for thoese
> just wanting to use their binaries.

Fedora has 2.8.12.2 in F20 and F19 and below are EOL anyways. I have a
copr for CMake master here[1] I update sporadically and can spin up
another for 3.x if wanted. I think I can build against EPEL5 as well,
but I'd have to double check (EPEL6 is definitely possible).

--Ben

[1]http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/mathstuf/cmake-master/