[vtk-developers] VTK module system uplift to CMake 3.0 features

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Mon Mar 2 17:57:33 EST 2015

> ... My main objection is that Ubuntu LTS 14.04 has CMake 2.8.12.2, and
> that is the most recent LTS (next is out next year I believe). CMake
> is reasonably easy to obtain/install locally updated versions, but
> LTS/distro CMake versions present an additional barrier.

If it helps, I made a PPA:

  https://launchpad.net/~dcthomp/+archive/ubuntu/smtk/+packages

for building some software (SMTK) on Travis that requires CMake 3.x. If you are going to install a modern VTK (instead of whatever version LTS comes with), then it seems reasonable to depend on a modern CMake.

	David