[vtk-developers] [vtkusers] Removing support for VS 8 and GCC < 4.1

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Wed Jun 17 10:57:26 EDT 2015

For now, this shouldn't be a problem. However, if we aggressively pursue
C++11 support, it will be a problem. See the chart in here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh567368.aspx

I read that as we would have to require VS 2013 for this. My preferred
timeline for this would be to require partial C++ 11 support in the
compilers we support by early 2017. I also hope that we would have first
class support for Python 3 way before then.

Those that still want python 2.7 support in 2017 would have to depend on
VTK 6 or 7 (assuming we have VTK 8).

Does this make sense?

Best,
-berk