[vtk-developers] [vtkusers] Removing support for VS 8 and GCC < 4.1

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Wed Jun 10 10:51:55 EDT 2015

That took longer than expected Bill. :)

Thanks for bringing up the counter argument Bill. Casey's pain demonstrates
your point.

Despite that my vote is for getting rid of old compilers sooner rather than
later. Old compilers are a drag on both innovation and maintenance.

Whatever we do I think the we need to clearly communicate what compilers we
really are trying to support. This discussion and earlier ones on the
mailing list help. The cmake macros people have discussed will help too. In
practice the dashboards submitters define the set of compilers that people
can expect to "just work". That set should be introspected and published
automatically and expanded.