[vtk-developers] [vtkusers] Removing support for VS 8 and GCC < 4.1

Casey Goodlett casey.goodlett at kitware.com
Wed Jun 10 09:16:02 EDT 2015

I have recently used visual studio 2005 which would be dropped by this.

Is it possible to add a check in the CMakeLists.txt to provide a warning or
error if I try to use an unsupported MSVC with VTK 6.3?  That way, if I
forget about this change, there will be a clear error message instead of
something broken due to the removed workarounds.

Apologies if thats already in the patch, and I missed it.

Thank you

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jun 2015 11:30:48 -0400, David Cole via vtkusers said:
>
> >I would go so far as to say it's reasonable that the dev/trunk/master
> >branch of a project should only support the two most recent stable
> >compiler releases on any given platform.
>
> Once my conservative patch is merged, I'll do another pass looking at what
> remaining workarounds exist for old compilers/OSes and post it for
> review/discussion.
>
> Cheers,

Casey B Goodlett, PhD
Technical Leader