[vtk-developers] Removing support for VS 8 and GCC < 4.1

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Jun 9 09:36:34 EDT 2015

Hi folks,

Sean graciously created a branch that removes support for Visual Studio 8
and GCC < 4.1:

https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/38

GCC 4.1 was released in 2006 and VS 9 was released in 2008 (actually late
2007). I believe that this is very reasonable. We removed support for VS 7
and GCC < 3 in 2013 and doing this regularly makes it easier to maintain
VTK.

Are there any major use cases for keeping these compilers? Unless I hear a
good argument against merging this change in the next few weeks, I will go
ahead and approve it.

Moving forward, we will likely be more aggressive removing support for
older compilers. The VTK developer community really wants to leverage new
C++ features (C++ 11) and newer library/compiler features (e.g. TBB, OpenMP
3 and 4) etc. We want to get there relatively fast and this will require
dropping old compilers more quickly than before.

Thanks,
-berk