[vtk-developers] Sharing a build issue solution - Multiple

Ashray Malhotra ashray.malhotra.1994 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 14:53:53 EDT 2015

Hello all,

I wasted a lot of time on a silly VTK building issue and wanted to share it
with you guys to make sure none of you run into the same issue.

I had built VTK and everything was running perfectly on my system. I was
just experimenting with the VTK code and tried to compile it, but just to
check I compiled it with the configuration of OpenGL2. But then after this
my codes didn't compile(not even those that used to work earlier). After
this I reverted back to building using OpenGL, again did a cmake for the
new configuration. In both the steps I had done make install to copy the
files to /usr/local(I use OS X).

Even after building VTK with OpenGL multiple times(using slightly different
configurations), none of the previously working codes were compiling, make
was unsuccessful. I did make clean and git clean -df to get back to the
previous working state and then built VTK again but alas even this failed.

Finally I figured out that the error was that VTK while running was still
using the OpenGL2 files from the /usr/local since make install did not
remove the older VTK files in that directory. Hence I manually removed all
the vtk associated files from that directory(using terminal). I followed it
by a make install which successfully.

I wasted over 2 days of productive time trying to figure this out, I hope
it will help you guys save your time if you ever fall into this problem.

Thanks.

--
Regards
Ashray Malhotra