[vtk-developers] How to get data from a vtk pipeline ?

houssen houssen at ipgp.fr
Tue Jul 21 13:01:18 EDT 2015

How to get data (node coords, node values, cell values for instance)
from a vtk pipeline (that renders a vtkStructuredGrid for instance) ?

I have a vtkRenderer. From there, I get a list of vtkActor (for me an
actor identify one pipeline - several actors means several pipelines
managed by the same renderer : correct ?). From there, for each actor, I
get a vtkMapper. How to get data "behind" the mapper (the ones created
by the initial source or reader) as, for instance, a vtkStructuredGrid ?
I tried vtkMapper::GetInput but I get a crash in several different cases
I tried. What is the correct way to get the data ? Is there an example
somewhere ?

Franck