[vtk-developers] Proposal: Supporting Arrays With Arbitrary Memory Layouts

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Mon Jul 13 17:07:32 EDT 2015

Folks,

As the recent VTK release roadmap alluded to, we're looking into
refactoring the zero-copy/mapped arrays infrastructure in VTK to allow for
arbitrary layouts with easier ways of adding new array types, and minimal
overhead iterator access.

While this is still under development, I wanted to put the draft for the
current design/implementation out so folks can review and provide feedback.

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Supporting_Arrays_With_Arbitrary_Memory_Layouts

If everything goes smoothly, the plan is to deprecate Mapped Arrays and
supporting classes in VTK 6.3 and replace it with the proposed Generic
Arrays in VTK 7.0.

Utkarsh