[vtk-developers] vtkExplicitCell

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Thu Jul 2 10:37:46 EDT 2015

Scratching my head a little bit I think I know why that class was created.
There was a time when we were fooling around with making the NURBS, Bezier,
etc. basis a type of cell. The idea was that if you had thousands of spline
surfaces as in a CAD model you would explicitly instantiate these as cells,
with all the commensurate trim edges, knot points, weights, etc.

Currently I believe that there is a GSoC effort underway to introduce NURBS
into VTK (again). I haven't followed it closely but from what I understand
they are taking a different path.

However given that this class is not currently used, there's no reason not
to put it in the attic until a real reason for keeping it emerges.

--
William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc.
will.schroeder at kitware.com