[vtk-developers] 22 new failing GPU tests on OpenGL2 dashboard

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Jan 29 14:47:21 EST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 2:35 PM, David Cole <DLRdave at aol.com> wrote:
> I've narrowed it down by using git bisect on the machine where the
> tests actually fail. I would really like to see this stuff fixed to
> work in this context before the official VTK 6.2 release. This is not
> ready from my perspective. What else can I do to help out here?

OpenGL2 rendering will be part of the 6.2 release, but we are not
going to be calling it "ready" - it is a public beta while we get
things finished up, and will not be the default rendering backend for
VTK. It would be great to get this figured out, and if people want to
adopt OpenGL2 rendering early then we will try to support them, but
you shouldn't expect OpenGL2 to be ready for production at this stage.
I think it is getting close.

It seems that the HD4000+ Intel chipsets do not have this issue, and
we don't have access to older chips here. Agreed on merging commits in
that don't compile, they should either be squashed together into a
single commit that does compile, or as they are made we should ensure
they compile. This is a weakness in the testing infrastructure, and
the onus is on the developer to ensure each commit compiles
independently.

Thanks for working on tracking this down further, hopefully we can get
to the bottom of this but it looks like quite a few changes.

Marcus