[vtk-developers] Attributing VTK in a commercial app

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Wed Jan 14 13:42:45 EST 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 12:39:38 -0500, David Cole via vtk-developers wrote:
> I know closed-source commercial apps are quite passé in this crowd,
> but ... say we have such an application that uses VTK.
>
> What are the requirements for selling/distributing this app? Is it
> sufficient to mention in a file, and in our "About" dialog, that we
> use VTK under the terms of the BSD license? Or is there more (or less)
> to it than that?
>
> By the way, searching for "vtk license" yields [this link][1], which
> is now 7 years out of date. Is it the most up-to-date reference page
> detailing VTK's license?

Basically the BSD license says you have to have VTK's license (you can't
just mention "BSD" since there are a "few"[1] variants) with it in
binary or source form and you can't use VTK's contributors names to
endorse your product without written permission (e.g., you can't fork
FreeBSD and say "made by PHK!" on your product).

--Ben

[1]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:BSD?rd=Licensing/BSD