[vtk-developers] Getting ready for VTK's next release

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Mon Jan 12 15:50:36 EST 2015

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Andrew Maclean
<andrew.amaclean at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the heads up Marcus.
>
> FYI, I have been running VTK with OpenGL2 and Qt5.3 for a while now on
> Windows VS2012, Ubuntu 14.10 (GCC 4.9) and Mac OSX Yosemite. All these
> machines build using CMake 3.1, Python 2.7 and Tcl, Qt 5.3 with no major
> issues.
>
> One thing I would like to see, if possible, is making the default Qt version
> 5. Maybe the same for ParaView also.

ParaView is not ready to move to the best of my knowledge. My hope was
to leave it at 4 (but changing to 5 is easy). The next release of VTK
should hopefully default to using the new rendering code, along with
possibly Qt 5 (ParaView can still modify), but I think we should avoid
this change just before the release. The distro maintainers can decide
what is best for their distros.

If others think differently please let us know.

Thanks,

Marcus