[vtk-developers] announce: vtk 6.2.0 release candidate 1 is ready

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Sat Feb 21 07:45:29 EST 2015

There is also the pointy-haired management concern. That is, we are coming
up to the end of Year 2 NIH funding for VTK Maintenance. We have a report
due in mid-March and I want to make it as strong as possible so we can
continue doing other great work along the lines of OpenGL2, interaction,
community, and medical data integration. Being able to talk about a release
makes me very happy, and it will honor the investment that NIH is making
into VTK.

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 9:09 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell <
marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 16:36:12 -0500, Marcus D. Hanwell said:
> >
> >>Why make more than one RC if there are no
> >>critical flaws discovered?
> >
> > No disagreement there.  But if the 1 rc period lasts only 4 business
> days (it was announced late Monday), there's *insufficient time* to look
> for flaws.
>
> Agreed, I have been really busy with other things and didn't
> appreciate this. Hopefully we can extend it out a day or two - would
> that offer enough time?
> >
> > VTK 6.1 was released 13 months ago.  Why the rush to declare 6.2 final?
> >
> These things are always a balancing act, and we would like to increase
> the release frequency so that we avoid this 13 month cycles. Thanks
> for your feedback, and all of your contributions to VTK.
>
> Marcus

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc.
28 Corporate Drive