[vtk-developers] osmesa status

Geoff Wright gpwright at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 10:34:50 EST 2015

Hello,

I'm using VTK in an internal project and wanted to add some extra
regression tests to support my own use cases.  I setup a new job to build
VTK and run all existing ctest on my CI server (aws ec2 Ubuntu 14.04, no
graphics hardware).

I noticed that a substantial portion of the tests are currently failing
when using os mesa, due to what looks like sub pixel alignment issues.  Is
this a known problem?  I see that there are a couple of servers on the
public VTK dashboard configured for OS mesa that are also failing
approximately 400 tests e.g.
https://open.cdash.org/buildSummary.php?buildid=4167821

I'm wondering if there is any quick fix to get these working, or is it a
known issue with osmesa?  Are the baseline images generated using MSAA?  Is
there an option to change the image comparison to be more generous with
single pixel misalignment?  Should I give up on testing VTK in a VM and set
it up on a physical agent?  I would rather avoid this... any advice is much
appreciated.   I'm using Mesa 11.0.4 which reports OpenGL information as
follows:

OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.6, 256 bits)
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.2 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.0.4
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.2 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.0.4
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.50
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: core profile
OpenGL extensions:

Many thanks,