[vtk-developers] New volume rendering feature

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Fri Aug 28 15:41:25 EDT 2015

In addition to this  work, there have been some exciting progress in the
OpenGL2 GPU volume mapper.
While we work on a blog demonstrating the new features, here is the
high-level bulletin:

   - Support for multi-component datasets wherein each component can be
   represented independently or in a way such that all the component values
   are utilized to lookup the final color and opacity.
   - A major performance improvement (~300%) was achieved  by
   optimizing the computation of the lighting model.
   - The new volume mapper now supports the OpenGL 3.2 core context and
   offloads most of the calculations including bias and scale computations to
   the GPU

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

- Aashish