[vtk-developers] Update: Making Tests Python 3/2 compatible.

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 08:19:34 EDT 2015

Hi All,
   Git and I had an argument about rebasing ... I lost the argument. [git
+1, Andrew -1]

Consequently I have had to create a new merge request:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/518

I have picked up all of David's comments from the old merge request and the
results (on my machine) are:
99% tests passed, 4 tests failed out of 489

Total Test time (real) = 990.25 sec

The following tests FAILED:
        1935 - vtkRenderingTkPython-cursor3D (Failed)
        1936 - vtkRenderingTkPython-TestTextActor3D (Failed)
        1937 - vtkRenderingTkPython-TestTkRenderWidget (Failed)
        1938 - vtkRenderingTkPython-TestTkRenderWindowInteractor (Failed)
Errors while running CTest

If no one objects, would like to defer these fails to a later merge request.

David, I have a question about Python 3.2:
In reading the documentation, this version of python accepted strings like
unicode('The Zen of VTK') but not u'The Zen of VTK' which is accepted in
Python 2.7/3.3+.

Is it safe to use:
from __future__ import unicode_literals

and will Python 3.2 then accept statements like:
zen =  u'The Zen of VTK'

Can someone test this on Python 3.2, it works on Python 3.4 and Python 2.7.

If it doesn't work, are there any alternatives?

Regards
    Andrew

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 5:53 AM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 3:00 AM, Andrew Maclean <andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>

>>         655 - vtkFiltersGeneralPython-TestMultiBlockStreamer (Failed)
>>         676 - vtkFiltersGeneralPython-splitVectors (Failed)
>>         677 - vtkFiltersGeneralPython-streamTracer (Failed)
>>         1263 - vtkIONetCDFPython-NetCDFCF2DBounds (Failed)
>>         1264 - vtkIONetCDFPython-NetCDFCFSetOutputType (Failed)
>>         1265 - vtkIONetCDFPython-NetCDFCFSphericalCoords (Failed)
>>         1266 - vtkIONetCDFPython-NetCDFCFUnstructured (Failed)
>>         1267 - vtkIONetCDFPython-NetCDFReader (Failed)
>>

> For the above tests, it looks like the failure was due to a typo in my
> wrapper code.
> I mistyped PY_VERSION_HEX in two locations.  After I've merged this fix,
> you can
> rebase.
>
>  - David

Andrew J. P. Maclean