[vtk-developers] VTK Roadmap

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Wed Aug 5 19:47:26 EDT 2015

On Wed, Aug 05, 2015 at 11:30:56 -0400, Sean McBride wrote:
>  - removing PowerPC support
>  - removing Carbon support
>  - removing OS X 10.5 support

It seems we have one machine building against 10.5 right now for the
superbuild (which builds Java binaries):

    https://buildbot.kitware.com/builders/vtk-kamino-osx-shared-release%2Bosx10.5%2Bsuperbuild

Looking at the output, it is targeting 10.6's SDK with 10.5 as a
minimum. Sebastien, what should we bump this to? 10.6? Most other
VTK-based projects are targeting 10.7 or higher.

>  - removing Apple-gcc 4.2 support
>  - removing Xcode 3.x support
>
> If there's consensus, I volunteer to gut the relevant stuff.

Rest looks fine with me.

> I can also use clang-modernize to introduce nullptr usage, if that's
> something we're ready to do in master now.  nullptr can be pretty
> easily emulated on older compilers, like ITK does.

nullptr is probably a good place to start. I assume it also does 0 ->
nullptr replacements?

--Ben