[vtk-developers] VTK-py3k is ready for testing

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 11:44:07 EDT 2015

So, here's a brief update on python 3 status:

The python-py3k merge branch compiles and runs with Python 3.2, 3.3, 3.4
and also Python 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 (I tried all six).  So, yes, you can build
VTK against Python 3, and you can run VTK programs with Python 3.  I'll be
doing a bit of cleanup of the next few days, but the current branch is very
close to what I plan to merge.

However: the test code in VTK is all written for Python 2, so right now the
Python 3 buildbot that Ben has set up is showing all red for the testing.
Converting the tests will be a lot of work, especially because the tests
must continue to run with Python 2.6 and 2.7 (definitely not 2.5, though).
Andrew, you mentioned that you might be able to provide some assistance, I
would be very grateful for anything you have to offer.

I've already begun converting the python tests in Common/Core, because
these test the core features of the wrappers.

 - David