[vtk-developers] Request for a gentler tone in commit message verbiage...

David Cole DLRdave at aol.com
Thu Apr 30 10:08:45 EDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 8:02 AM, David Lonie <david.lonie at kitware.com> wrote:

> To fix it, I had to explicitly cast the NULL to X* for compilation to
> succeed. What am I missing here?

That in some implementations NULL is defined simply as 0. Stupidly,
but still a fact.

If you do use Visual Studio, you can highlight some code in any source
code file in your project and hit the F12 key to jump to where it's
defined and see its definition (or right click and choose "Go To
Definition"). Even in VS 2013, with __cplusplus defined, NULL is
simply #define'd to 0.

> I can see about making the comment I introduced more palatable (I thought
> you were referring to the commit message earlier...).

Thanks, that and being more judicious on future commit messages is all
I'm asking.

> BTW, if my comments were enough of a turn-off to spark this thread, you may
> want to grep the code for things like "stupid", "dumb", "moron", "idiot",

Thanks ... ? Maybe I'll save that one for a Monday, when I have a full
week ahead of me to dedicate to community service.

I am (just recently) on Kitware's new gitlab server as dlrdave. I'll
go on and take a look at your patch.

Thank you,
David C.