[vtk-developers] GSoC project: Improvements to Earth and Space Science Visualization

Jia Chen jiac5 at uci.edu
Tue Apr 28 11:35:50 EDT 2015

Hi, All,

My name is Jia Chen, and I just got notified that my proposal to GSoC
project "Improvements to Earth and Space Science Visualization" has been
accepted. So I am writing to introduce myself. I am currently a Ph.D
student at UC Irvine, major in Computer Graphics. In this project, I would
like to enhance VTK's earth and space science visualization module for
geophysical data visualization.

Geophysical data visualization is an important part for the study of
various areas of earth science, such as oil and mineral exploration,
seismic monitoring etc. Related  functions have been integrated into
commercial software like Avizo, Open Inventor, Geoviz, etc. But in open
source community, we still lack such software to provide solution for
visualizing these kinds of data. In this project, I would like to add
support for visualizing geophysical objects in VTK. The full text of my
proposal can be found from link
<http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/public/google/gsoc2015/jiac5/5629499534213120>.

If you or your friends need such geophysical data visualization features,
or you have suggestions on the project,  please let me know. All
suggestions are highly appreciated, and looking forward to spending an
exciting summer working with you all.

Best Regards,
Jia