[vtk-developers] Ghost and Blanking (Visibility) Changes

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Apr 14 09:31:33 EDT 2015

> Question: the new architecture does not provide information about ghost
level anymore. Is this information useless in
> general and was never used by any vtk filter?

The ghost level information was only used to strip a particular ghost
level, something that was done in the filters. Since we no longer expect
filters to strip ghost levels (this is done before the mapper), the levels
are no longer needed.

> I use to generate PVTP/PTVU files on a project I generally link with the
latest VTK. I use to visualize the obtained dataset with ParaView. However,
since this change, I am not able to open any of those VTK XML files with PV
<=4.3.1. To do so I have to manually edit the files and reverse the version
tag from 2 to 1... My dataset have no blanking or ghost cells, thus may be
one could only specify version 2 in the data writer if the data
*really *contains
information that a previous version of the reader could not read?

This is a great idea. Dan: if it is not too hard to do, please do this.

-berk