[vtk-developers] Single test file used for more than one test?

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Thu Sep 11 17:38:19 EDT 2014

Burlen,

Thanks for the pointer. I like that your example is explicit in what
is being passed to the tests.

To use the more "magic" vtk_add_test_cxx() function, it turns out you
can do the following:

set(vtk_test_prefix Second)
vtk_add_test_cxx(${vtk-module}CxxTests tests
  SurfacePlusEdges.cxx --arg1 --arg2 --arg3
)
unset(vtk_test_prefix)

And this will define a test named $(vtk-module}Cxx-SecondSurfacePlusEdges.

In it's current form, this test will point to a baseline named
SurfacePlusEdges.png. To point it to a baseline for just this test, I
had to modify vtkTestingMacros.cmake to include vtk_test_prefix in the
baseline path. The modifications are on gerrit:

http://review.source.kitware.com/#/t/4648/

This specifies the baseline file name as SecondSurfacePlusEdges.png.

Reviews for this topic are appreciated :-)

I'm not sure if I'm thrilled with defining the test name this way. It
would be nicer to do something like

vtk_add_test_cxx(${vtk-module}CxxTests tests
  SurfacePlusEdges.cxx --arg0 --arg1 --arg2
  SurfacePlusEdges.cxx,CUSTOM_NAME SurfacePlusEdges2 --arg3 --arg4 --arg5
)

where if CUSTOM_NAME is specified, the first argument is the test name.

Thanks,
Cory