[vtk-developers] Request info about changes made to vtkRuledSurfaceFilter vtkAppendPolyData after 5.2.1

Christopher Mullins christopher.mullins at kitware.com
Tue Sep 9 17:16:05 EDT 2014

Hi Aaron.

The old front page of the wiki had a pretty good changelog on it.  I left a
link at the bottom of the current page in case anyone still wanted to see
that - here it is[1].  Maybe one of those links will help, otherwise I hope
someone else on here will be able to offer an explanation.

[1] http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Deprecated_frontpage#VTK_5.2

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 5:09 PM, Aaron Hickerson <
aaron.hickerson at ondiagnostics.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am in the process of upgrading my company OS from ubuntu10 to ubuntu14
> and so I am therefore dealing with an upgrade of vtk 5.2.1 to vtk 5.8. Our
> legacy software is heavily dependent on vtk and we are noticing some
> unexpected differences in outcomes with the newer 5.8 library. These
> differences are slight but for our regulated software we need to know why
> there are ANY differences in outcomes for this new release, no matter how
> small.
>
> There were changes made to the classes vtkRuledSurfaceFilter and
> vtkAppendPolyData after 5.2.1 but I cannot find any succinct explanations
> as to why these changes were made. These are the two classes that I have
> identified that our software is dependent on that behave differently in
> this new release, and provide different outcomes. I have scoured the
> internet and looked at the source code in detail but I still cannot find
> any real explanation as to WHY these two classes were modified to produce
> different outcomes than in previous versions.
>
> Can anyone point me to the changelog(s) for these classes that contain
> succinct explanations for the algorithmic changes?
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron Hickerson

Christopher Mullins
R&D Engineer