[vtk-developers] Driving away your existing developers

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Wed Sep 3 10:33:19 EDT 2014

One thing we can hope to do better next time to not alienate the old timers
(including myself).

* The transition from CVS to today's gerrit workflow was necessarily long,
but there were frequent adjustments along the way as we learned and built
up the infrastructure. Every change in the process meant retraining all of
the (self interested and busy) contributors.

Whatever our end goal is with the new infrastructure - we need to work
harder to minimize the number of changes to the commit process, to keep the
contribution process as dead simple as it can be, and to describe the
mechanics clearly and loudly.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer