[vtk-developers] libc++ problem on OSX

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Wed Sep 17 14:07:15 EDT 2014

For compatibility with some other libraries, I tried compiling paraview on OSX using libc++ instead of libstdc++.
Everything is fine except some link errors coing from vtkCocoa… classes. I have never worked with these before, but see all the classes causing me trouble emanate from code which has an mm extension.

Looking at the make rules, I cannot see anything obviously wrong, but does anyone know of a reason why the vtkCocoa classes cause this trouble. Are they using a libstdc++ from the system (via some cocoa related link) which I can’t work around?

Thanks for any hints.

JB

Linking CXX shared library ../../../lib/libvtkRenderingOpenGL-pv4.2.dylib
  "vtkObjectBase::PrintHeader(std::ostream&, vtkIndent)", referenced from:
      vtable for vtkCocoaRenderWindowInteractor in vtkCocoaRenderWindowInteractor.mm.o
      vtable for vtkCocoaRenderWindow in vtkCocoaRenderWindow.mm.o
  "vtkObjectBase::PrintTrailer(std::ostream&, vtkIndent)", referenced from:
      vtable for vtkCocoaRenderWindowInteractor in vtkCocoaRenderWindowInteractor.mm.o
      vtable for vtkCocoaRenderWindow in vtkCocoaRenderWindow.mm.o
  "vtkOpenGLRenderWindow::PrintSelf(std::ostream&, vtkIndent)", referenced from:
      vtkCocoaRenderWindow::PrintSelf(std::ostream&, vtkIndent) in vtkCocoaRenderWindow.mm.o
  "vtkRenderWindowInteractor::PrintSelf(std::ostream&, vtkIndent)", referenced from:
      vtkCocoaRenderWindowInteractor::PrintSelf(std::ostream&, vtkIndent) in vtkCocoaRenderWindowInteractor.mm.o
  "std::string::c_str() const", referenced from:
      vtkCocoaRenderWindow::ReportCapabilities() in vtkCocoaRenderWindow.mm.o
  "std::string::length() const", referenced from:
      vtkCocoaRenderWindow::ReportCapabilities() in vtkCocoaRenderWindow.mm.o