[vtk-developers] VTK code review / testing / integration workflow

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Sep 4 22:31:11 EDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 9:04 PM, David Thompson <david.thompson at kitware.com>
wrote:

> <snip>
> - It would be nice to have tighter integration with the release process
> and issue tracking so that reports of features added and bugs fixed could be

+1

The bugtracker is only loosely integrated into the process. I'ld like it to
be tighter too so that hopefully the number of bugs in the tracker will be
limited and always recent.

> generated. I think what we do of that is mostly by hand now, isn't it?

Yes mostly by hand.

* before a release we scan the bug tracker and try to address the most
important reports.

* during the release candidate cycle I use the bug tracker and the "found
in" "fixed in" fields to keep track of the bugs that need to be fixed
before the final release

We keep track of what changed in the release entirely outside of the bug
tracker.

* I send an email to all authors and ask them to summarize their changes
 to make up the release notes so we know overall what happened.

* Then I run $VTKSRC//Utilities/Maintenance/sematicDiffVersion.py to make
the API diff report so that we have a list of the added / newly legacy'd /
 and removed items.
See: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/API_Changes_6_0_0_to_6_1_0