[vtk-developers] Renderman Announces new pricing policy

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Fri May 30 17:08:03 EDT 2014

Folks,

Mike Halle referred me to this article regarding RenderMan:
http://renderman.pixar.com/view/non-commercial

Many years ago, I wrote the vtkRIBExporter that produces RenderMan
files. At that time, there was a free package BMRT that accepted
RenderMan files and created high quality renderings from VTK models.
In fact, almost all of the images in the VTK book centerfold plates
were produced using vtkRIBExporter and BMRT.

The new free license has commercial restrictions, but they seem
lenient unless you want to sell your animations.

I've requested a free license. I'll keep the group informed...

Bill