[vtk-developers] heads up: changes to vtk web site and examples coming

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu May 15 17:29:19 EDT 2014

Hey gang,

We've started cleaning up the accumulated clutter that we call the VTK wiki
page. With a collection of maybe twenty years' information up there we are
suffering more from a proliferation than a scarcity of information. Our
goal then is to streamline and improve the content to make it easier to
find the important stuff and especially to get started using VTK.

As such we have or are about to:
* change the top level wiki page from:
  http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Deprecated_frontpage
to:
  http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/VTK

* remove or update old and often conflicting content (I'm looking at you
FAQ!).

* switch to a ParaView style download form on the webpage, where you pick
from drop down boxes what you want to download.

* Adhere to "one set of examples to rule them all" or "there can be only
one set of examples". The in source VTK examples:
  ${VTKSOURCE}/Examples
are being updated and will eventually move to the VTK Wiki examples
project:
  http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples
Regression test results for the wiki examples will move to the VTK
dashboard where more developers will see them.

* the VTK web site will receive its own facelift in the coming months, like
ParaView's recently did, for much the same reason.

If you have any concerns about any of this or have some spare time and
would like to help update the documentation and example, please let us
know.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer