[vtk-developers] Remote Modules

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Jun 19 15:30:53 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> ITK has a great mechanism to bring in external contributions. They are
> called Remote Modules. In a nut shell, you provide a small description
> of where to get the remote itk modules. For example:
> #
> # ITK WikiExamples
> #  This remote module require a VTK build
> #  The following CMake variable must be set for the ITK build
> #
> # Check for requires cmake variables
>
> itk_fetch_module(WikiExamples
>   "A collection of examples that illustrate how to use ITK."
>   GIT_REPOSITORY
> https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITKWikiExamples.git
> # June 13, 2014
>   GIT_TAG b14135585268b26a856becbe642de25a08359c04
>   )
>
> Then. cmake discovers the module and its itk-module.cmake file and
> treats the contributon as a first class module (if turned on).
>
> The mechanism is described here:
> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Policy_and_Procedures_for_Adding_Remote_Modules
>
> The knowledge base for this resides at Kitware. I suspect that
> something similar could be added to VTK.

Excellent suggestion, I was hoping to get to this - I had talked with
some of the ITK developers about it after reading a blog post or
source article about it. As Dave pointed out, scheduling some time is
the hardest point but there is a module mentioned in another thread
that looks like an excellent candidate (and I am sure there are many
more).

Marcus