[vtk-developers] A quick question regarding deprecating functions.

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Jun 6 12:05:20 EDT 2014

My question is: Once a function is deprecated do we ultimately remove it?

> If so when? At the next minor release e.g VTK 6.3 or at the next major
> release e.g VTK 7.0.
> Actually this raises another question: If deprecated functions eventually
> get removed, who is responsible for this?

There isn't a ceiling on how long deprecated features can stay in, and no
one is specifically designated to remove things.

There is a floor, deprecated features are left in for at least one minor
release before they can be yanked. Thus downstream users have at least a
chance of noticing the change and dealing with it before it happens.

Note: Sankesh's version diff script
(VTK/Utilities/Maintenance/semanticDiffVersion.py), the results of which
I've put up on the wiki for the recent releases, helps to identify the
specific changes.