[vtk-developers] vtkGPUInfo and large amounts of memory

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Mon Jul 7 13:29:52 EDT 2014

>>the wild? And therefore, shouldn't it be something that's always at
>>least 64-bits wide as "the other David" suggested...?

> So back to the original question: is such a change minor enough to
> not count as breaking API/ABI?  Or is it all just not worth it?  :)

Well if you change the signature of the existing method, then it's
definitely a breaking change.

As for whether it's "minor enough" or not, I'll leave that to the VTK
legacy police. I'm sure one of them will chime in eventually.

And even if it's not "minor enough"... maybe just document its
limitations, mark it as a legacy method, and invent a new method with a
new signature that's wide enough for the foreseeable future.

HTH,
David C.