[vtk-developers] vtkGPUInfo and large amounts of memory

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Sat Jul 5 15:06:57 EDT 2014

If you need more than 2^32 bytes of memory, you likely need to build
VTK as 64-bit anyhow, in which case, vtkIdType defaults to a 64-bit
wide type, too... So is a change really necessary?

Or..... you *can* build a 32-bit build of VTK, but explicitly set its
id type to be 64-bits anyway, even in the 32-bit build.

I'm not sure I see the advantage of using size_t over vtkIdType, as
they both vary in size based on CMake/compiler settings.

Can you elaborate on why you think it would be better to use size_t
instead of vtkIdType?

David C.