[vtk-developers] Adding External Data for Testing to a Fork

Jatin Parekh jatinparekh93 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 02:53:24 EDT 2014

Hi!
I have written a test for a GeoJSON format reader for vtk.
My test has a baseline image (lets say test.png) and another input data
(lets say input.json in Testing/Data folder) for my implemented
vtkGeoJSONReader.

After I run cmake and make, My input data gets converted into corresponding
md5 hashes and the referenced data is stored in my .ExternalData folder of
the source.

Now, when I git push my local copy to my own vtk fork with this
test.png.md5 and input.txt.md5, How is the referenced data uploaded on git?

Should I push only the original data (baseline image and input.json)
or
the md5 files and the actual data both?

What is the ideal approach in this case where I wish to add testing data
and external data to my own fork?
Since the data is to be added only to my fork and not the original VTK, I
don't think gerrit would be useful. Would it?

Here is the GeoJSON reader & VTK fork that I am working on
https://github.com/OpenGeoscience/VTK/tree/master/IO/GeoJSON
If anymore information is required, I'll be glad to provide them.

Thanks!
Jatin Parekh