[vtk-developers] Stereo on vtkRenderWindow::StereoRenderComplete resize problem

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Thu Jan 23 10:13:55 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 7:58 AM, Marco Lopes <marco.lop3s at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I'm adding a new stereo option for VTK/Paraview and as I'm new to both, I
> was a bit surprised when I saw how the merging is being doing.
>

> In the first place I don't understand why it's done using the CPU when the
> whole VTK is based on OpenGL rendering, perhaps it's QT related?

What stereo method you are using? Some of them are directly performed on
the GPU and some CPU (We have to do that for Checkerboard, Split horizontal
etc).

> So, the reason why I mention it is that I guess this is the reason why I'm
> experiencing problems.
>

> I'm developing under Windows VS2010 and I've implemented the new mode for
> an auto stereoscopic display and this mode is based on sub-pixel
> multiplexing the image. Everything looks fine on the implementation as it
> was quite straightforward.
>

> However when I've tested it, I’ve noticed that the resizing the window
> causes the result to interpolate and of course it destroys completely the
> stereo format I want to use. I also noticed that further resizing the
> window causes the whole application Paraview to crash.
>

> I thought first I've made a mistake and then I've tried to use the
> interlaced mode but it crashes as well.
>

> As long the window is not resized, interlaced mode seems to work well
> which is strange for me as the interpolation should destroy this stereo
> mode as well.

I see. This is strange. I have never seen this issue before.

> Am I missing a setting on VTK that will cause the renders to re-render to
> the exact window size?

This is ParaView?

> Is it possible to move this function under vtkOpenGLRenderWindow and do
> the whole mixing in shader language ?

You can do that but then it won't work on older systems most likely.