[vtk-developers] Dashboard test failure question

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 12:40:53 EST 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM, David Cole <dlrdave at aol.com> wrote:

> If that warning is true, then shouldn't any test that uses that class set
> the number of threads to 1 instead of trying to use all the cores available
> on a machine......?

Bill already fixed a bunch of tests to set NumberOfThreads=1 for this
mapper.  TestSmartVolumeMapperWindowLevel must have slipped through
the cracks.

> Does anybody really want non-repeatable results?

Fixing the bug in the mapper would be the correct way of ensuring
repeatable results: it's a multi-threaded mapper, but running it
with too many threads causes artifacts.  In my view, the
"SetNumberOfThreads(1)" trick is a way of sweeping the problem
under the rug, out of sight and out of mind.

  David