[vtk-developers] Minimum Python requirement

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Feb 13 11:19:03 EST 2014

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:50:19 -0500, Ben Boeckel said:

>> Dave DeMarle let me know off-list (by mistake I think) that the
>> ParaView superbuild uses Python 2.6/2.7. It looks to me like there is
>> no compelling reason not to move to 2.4, and I wonder if we could be
>> even more ambitious but if that is all you need then this seems
>> reasonable to me.
>
>RHEL 5 ships with 2.4 (though 2.6 is available in EPEL) and is probably
>still in reasonable use, so that would be where I'd stop pushing unless
>people tell me RHEL 5 is already pretty much replaced by 6 already.

To pick up on this slightly old thread...

For some weeks now, my old OS X 10.5 Rogue3 dashboard has this error:

<http://open.cdash.org/testDetails.php?test=234379363&build=3218585>

"ImportError: No module named json"

AFAICT, the json module was new in python 2.6.  OS X 10.5 comes with 2.5.

The test fails on two other machines, but with (I think) an unrelated error:
"ImportError: No module named vtkAcceleratorsDaxPython"

So if Rogue3 is the only <= 2.5 python dashboard, and it can't fully build VTK.... should we up the requirement to 2.6?  (Personally, I don't use python nor OS X 10.5, so I can just suppress this if y'all prefer.)

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com