[vtk-developers] An experiment with code coverage

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 16:51:24 EST 2014

Folks,

I think we all agree that CDash's code coverage presentation is
difficult to navigate.

I have been using the linux lcov and genhtml tools to produce a more
friendly presentation. These are supported by two vtk scripts in
Utilities/Maintenance
computeCodeCoverageLocallyForOneTest.sh
computeCodeCoverageLocally.sh

I have created a github repo that I populated with recent code
coverage. I am experimenting with this to see if I can generate
periodic coverage for VTK.

To view the coverage you need to clone this repo:
git clone https://github.com/lorensen/VTKCodeCoverage.git

To view the coverage:
cd VTKCodeCoverage
firefox index.html  # for linux
open index.html # for Mac

There is still some flakiness in the output (e.g. it shows some of my
home tree). But it might be useful until we can figure out what we
want CDash to do.

Bill