[vtk-developers] Proposal to add "vtkInfoMacro"

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Fri Dec 12 08:27:30 EST 2014

I disagree with this change. There is no compelling VTK specific example
for why this is needed. The examples are all from Slicer - which to me says
that they can be implemented in Slicer.

Adding a logging functionality without clear guidelines on how to use it is
dangerous. It can lead to folks using it for debugging in performance
critical sections and since it is not compiled out in Release builds, it
can lead to significant performance issues, specially in multi-threaded
code. As it is, there are lot of minor issues like this that we will have
to go and clean up (progress being one of them).

The main use case seems to be tracking interaction/workflow changes. My
suggestion is to employ a method appropriate to that. For example, events
and listeners.

Best,
-berk