[vtk-developers] [EXTERNAL] Re: Driving away your existing developers

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Thu Aug 28 16:59:54 EDT 2014

Berk/all,

I have read this thread with interest, and have been impressed with how open and honest everyone has been.  We have a problem, we discuss the problem, we find fixes for the problem.  After discussing these issues with my local team, one comment came up over and over again.  I realize that the VTK workflow and this thread are different than ParaView, but since my experience is with ParaView, I will comment accordingly.  Further, I realize that the two projects have different needs, but I think the following comments still apply.

Although the current procedures do have issues slowing down community contributions, they also have strengths.  This is true for ParaView, and I assume for VTK.  I have been doing a lot of testing of ParaView for the upcoming 4.2 release, and ParaView is amazingly “clean” at this point.  GUI’s are clear, workflows are simple (or as simple as can be), lots of stuff gets tested in the dashboards, and everything just works (well, most things just work).  I am now somewhat surprised when I find bugs, as opposed to the past, where I was surprised when I didn’t.  Numerous years ago, before development was reviewed before moving it into head, it was always a crap shoot when updating.  Now, it is rare that Master isn’t in a state that is release candidate quality.  And I believe that Master should always be in a state that is release candidate quality.

My executive summary is this: as we move forward, let’s make sure we don’t lose the processes and controls that have given us the quality products we currently have.

my $0.02.

Alan