[vtk-developers] Attracting next generation of developers

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Aug 26 16:46:34 EDT 2014

Hi Bill,

+10 to more outreach and better documentation of, well, everything.

The language is probably an issue also. Let alone the C++ 11 issue, Python,
Javascript, Java etc. are definitely taking away some developers.

What I am most interested in is making some of the large group of users out
there into VTK developers. This is something we have never done well. Even
when we had bunch more users & developers. I think that this is an
accessibility thing. Being more open to contributions. Doing more outreach.
Doing more things like Google Summer of Code. Doing more hack-a-tons. Other
ideas?

Modernization is certainly part of it. Of course modernization while
maintaining the right level of usability - not something ITK has done
exceedingly well I have to say. We are making decent progress in this area.
Where we lack most often is communicating all of the work going on.

To me some of this comes back to workflow and tools by the way. Workflow
and tools make communication and outreach easier or harder. I'll leave that
part of the discussion to the other thread.

What do other people think? What are people willing to do more of?

Best,
-berk