[vtk-developers] Attracting next generation of developers

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Aug 26 16:35:36 EDT 2014

Moved this discussion to a new thread.

Berk,

I think we need to reach out to potential developers. Especially those
outside of Kitware(and their paying customers) and the long term VTK
developers outside Kitware. Those communities can adapt to anything.
We need to focus on is how can we can attract new developers. In the
past, new processes were adopted and adapted by Kitware, their
customers and hard core VTK developers with very little input from the
broader community of potential developers.

ITK is going through the same issues but addressing the issues not
through process change. They are looking at outreach and better
documentation of the current process. Matt McCormick at Kitware has
been leading this effort.

I think there are lots of non-process improvements possible. But I
don't have a silver bullet for attracting new developers. Perhaps VTK
is too old school for today's developers. Stuck with an old
architecture, old graphics architecture, old and complex languages. I
honestly don't know what the root causes are. If we only include the
old-timers in theses discussion then we will not attract a younger set
of devleopers.

Bill