[vtk-developers] VTK code review / testing / integration workflow

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 19:55:04 EDT 2014

In general, I'd be happy with pretty much any tool, even the linux
method of doing everything via email sounds fine to me.

Getting back to workflow, here are the only things that I see as
absolutely essential:

- mandatory testing prior to merge
- mandatory review and approval
- reviews must be taken seriously by all parties, they're not just a
hoop to jump through

Here are additional workflow steps that I'd like to see:

- a lightweight proposal process for large changes
- all reported bugs should be assessed and assigned

For bugs, ideally all developers should watch the bugtracker, but it
might be necessary for there to be a developer assigned to watching
for reports.  We're never going to grow our community if we ignore bug
reports (or if we consistently ignore questions on the mailing list).

 - David