[vtk-developers] Introducing (optional) C++11 features in VTK

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Aug 22 13:58:43 EDT 2014

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 13:25:54 -0400, Marcus D. Hanwell said:

>Wikipedia isn't the only source of information,
>http://www.cplusplus.com/info/faq/ talks about it, and
>http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Standards.html discusses the -ansi
>flag, versus the -std=blah. I am not particularly tied to it, but it
>is fairly widely used.

It can of course be widely used and ambiguous at the same time. :)  It's similarly ambiguous to refer to "ISO C", as there have been several over the years.

4th google result for "ANSI C++":
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5863051/what-is-ansi-c>

I think saying "C++98" (or "ISO C++98") is unarguably clearer than saying "ANSI C++".

>This is where I was less certain, although I am not aware of changes
>in mangling for stuff we care about - do you have examples here, or
>just being cautious?

The latter.

"The C++98 language is ABI-compatible with the C++11 language, but several places in the library break compatibility. This makes it dangerous to link C++98 objects with C++11 objects."
<https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Cxx11AbiCompatibility>

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com