[vtk-developers] Introducing (optional) C++11 features in VTK

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Aug 18 16:50:12 EDT 2014

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 13:45:37 -0400, Marcus D. Hanwell said:

>As we move forward, it would be great to get a feeling for people's
>thoughts about integrating some components of C++11 optionally. So if
>C++11 is available/enabled, there are several features we could enable
>optionally at compile time.

+1 from me.

nullptr is another one that can be made to work even on older compilers with some #define glue.

Instead of creating a 'VTK_OVERRIDE', we could also use 'override' as if we required C++11 and "#define override /* nothing */" as appropriate.  Then when C++11 really is the minimun requirement no big find/replace is required.  Just a thought.

PS: I already have dashboards building as C++11 and C++14.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com