[vtk-developers] Qt and VTK dead link in docs to trolltech.com

Christopher Mullins christopher.mullins at kitware.com
Wed Apr 30 13:55:38 EDT 2014

Hello Marcus and Dave (and hello vtk-developers!),

We should go ahead and remove the dead links.  I can go through the pages
and do that at some point.

My take is, since Kitware has more than a few Qt experts, and integration
with Qt is such a common use case with VTK, we should have thorough
documentation on this.  I'm adding basic "Configuring with VTK" info to the
"Building and Configuring" page.

Right now I'm focusing on the basics of building VTK with Qt 4.8.* and 5.*
on various platforms, but it would be nice to have a detailed "Qt-VTK
Landing Page" which provides more detailed information.  It could be a
general overview of architecture that we recommend reading - the sort of
thing that wouldn't be necessary to, say, build and try out the VTK-QtGUI
examples, but would be recommended reading for anyone embarking on their
own project.  A sort of Qt-roadmap could also fit in here, and would give
the Qt Project somewhere to point.

Please feel free to add in what wisdom you have where you feel appropriate,
or send me anything you'd like included.  Perhaps we could augment or
replace the QtSetup page [1].  I'm sure it will be useful for me and
others.

[1] http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Tutorials/QtSetup

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM, David E DeMarle
<dave.demarle at kitware.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 2:48 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell <
> marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was working on something and spotted the link to
>> http://www.trolltech.com/products/3rdparty/vtksupport.html in quite a
>> few of the Qt support classes in VTK. That page no longer exists and I
>> cannot find it on the Digia or Qt Project pages.
>>
>> The Qt project has
>> https://qt-project.org/wiki/Using_3D_engines_with_Qt but states that
>> they "can’t find a good documentation-mainpage about it". Should we
>> add something to our wiki (or does it exist already), update our docs
>> and the one's on the Qt project's site?
>>

> Yes we should update both sides. I don't know if and what the best place
> to start is personally. Chris Mullins is working on updating VTK's docs
> right now and he might.
>

>> I could probably pull together a little of the basics, and add some
>> detail on the Qt 4/5 stuff added in 6.1 but would hate to duplicate
>> someone else's work if there is a page I just couldn't find in my
>> searches.
>>

> Please do! Ask Chris for help if you feel a need.
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Marcus

Christopher Mullins
R&D Engineer