[vtk-developers] Possible vtkScalarBarActor improvement

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin jchris.fillionr at kitware.com
Fri Sep 13 13:01:37 EDT 2013

Hi Kevin,

I think it makes sense to contribute this back to VTK. I would suggest to
first contribute your improvement as a VTK-6 topic.

See http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Git/Develop

In the mean, waiting it his fully reviewed, integrated and then eventually
backported to VTK 5.10 release branch, we could integrate it to the
SlicerVTK clone. See https://github.com/Slicer/VTK

Thanks for contributing to VTK,
Jc

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Wang, Kevin <kevin.wang at rmp.uhn.on.ca>wrote:

>  Hi vtk-developers,****
>
> ** **
>
> I am developing modules in Slicer and found one limitation in
> vtkScalarBarActor. ****
>
> ** **
>
> Currently vtk scalarbar widget only shows scalar value as labels. It would
> be useful in some applications to show the color names as labels. For
> example: when using the Slicer3_2010_label_Colors color table in slicer,
> instead of showing the scalar values, it would be nice to show the color
> names as labels in scalarbar widget. Please find more info about this at
> http://na-mic.org/Mantis/view.php?id=2919****
>
> ** **
>
> To enable this feature, I have created a new sub class of
> vtkScalarBarActor which allows adding color names with a method:  ****
>
> ** **
>
> *int* *SetColorName*(*int* ind, *const* *char* ***name);****
>
> ** **
>
> It also has a variable to enable/disable using the color as label. Please
> see the code as
> https://github.com/kevinwangcanada/Slicer/blob/2919-Add-UseColorNameAsLabel-for-scalarbar-widget/Modules/Loadable/Colors/VTKRendering/vtkSlicerScalarBarActor.h
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Before we merge this into the slicer trunk, we would like to know if you
> think it is relevant and something like this can be merged into VTK. I have
> also created a ticket for this: http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=14272**
> **
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks for your consideration.****
>
> ** **
>
> Kevin ****
>
> ** **
>
> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information for the
> sole use of the intended recipient.
> Any review or distribution by anyone other than the person for whom it was
> originally intended is strictly prohibited.
> If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and
> delete all copies.
> Opinions, conclusions or other information contained in this e-mail may
> not be that of the organization.

+1 919 869 8849